Skip to main content

How Do I Relate?

Words failed me as I looked into the eyes of my friend. They were full of fear, although she reassured me she wasn’t afraid! But how could she not be? We had been hearing of covid-19 for months, but it felt so far from us in Moroto. We hadn’t had a case, but then they brought patients from other districts to our hospital in Moroto. My friend, a 27 year old widow with three young children, had every reason to be afraid.
How do I express my own feelings? I’m not afraid. I agree with Paul when he says, “to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21). I’m not afraid to die, as I know where I stand with the Lord. I also believe I have a strong enough body to fight if I got sick. I heard from a few friends that have experienced Covid, and it isn’t easy! But just as Paul says a few verses later, “for to you it has been granted for Christ’s sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake.” (1:29). If I were to get sick, then I know it would be for Christ’s sake. My confidence and my security in Christ doesn’t mean I throw away all the precautions, but brings hope to suffering.
My confidence is unrealistic for my friends. I don’t have children depending on me. I live in a house by myself, surrounded by a wall. Most my friends live in a room connected to several other rooms with families living practically on top of one another. 
How do I share my confidence without sounding arrogant?
How do I look at any of my friends in the eye and say, “this is God’s good plan” then return to my cozy little house? Do I believe it is God’s good plan? With my whole heart! 
How do I walk alongside my friends when I live in such contrast?
I don’t have an answer to a single question. But I know the One who does, and in Him I put my trust. So, I will continue to do the only thing I know how to do with confidence — I will place my friendships at the feet of Jesus. Because He will bring about His good plan. My only job is to be obedient.
I told my friend to pray — to talk to God about how she is feeling. I encouraged her to be honest, because He knows already. And I reminded her that He will comfort her and guide her through this time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25 Years of Broken Dreams (Although This Is An Uplifting Post)

On my twenty-fifth birthday, I looked back on a high school goal of mine. In one of my classes, we had to make those “by this point in my life I will (fill in the blank)” and make tangible goals to reach the dream. Mine? By age twenty-five, I would own my own hair salon in Newport, Oregon. My plan was to move to the Coast and have my hair license by age twenty so I could begin building a clientele that would sustain my own salon, as I saved to make this dream possible. This July, I hit that birthday. Let me tell you, not a single one of those goals or ambitions were accomplished! Yet, not a single part of me regrets not following my dream. First of all, it was my stubborn personality that kept that dream going for so long. The dream really should have stated, “Prove to others I can do what they said I couldn’t” because if I were to boil down a very long story, that was at the heart of this dream. I pretty much refuse to spend more than five minutes on my own hair. I don’t know what

Encouragement

I am overwhelmed with the reactions of people who hear about my heart for missions, and my upcoming opportunity to work with Redeemer House Orphanage. All warm my heart, and fill my soul with joy. Most reactions are filled with squeals of joy, tears, and enormous hugs. I hold them deep in my heart, and I am blessed. When I first was wrestling with the idea of applying for this position, I took a day trip to my home church in Powell Butte, Oregon. I did not share with many about what I was praying about because I didn't want to make a great big scene, and then not follow through. I hope that church will be behind me through whatever missions I do, but something in me told me to wait to share with everyone. I did share with some, and when I did, each one was ecstatic for me! Each one encouraged me to pursue this route, because if God wants me there He will open the door, and if He doesn't then He will close it, but let Him do it. Their words of encouragement blessed me more than

What A Crazy Blessed Month!

Wow! I cannot believe it has been one month since I left everything I have ever known to embark on the amazing adventure God has called me to. I am still waiting to wake up to my alarm clock screaming at me, as I look out my window to see if I need to defrost my car, and crawl out of my bed in my tiny apartment. But this is real. I am in Uganda. Wow! This month has been amazing. I have grown so much, and fallen more in love with this country. I have opened my heart to some beautiful children, and my life will never be the same. I have embraced the "honeymoon" stage of culture shock, as I am fascinated with everything that surrounds me. I love the different encounters I have around here. It cracks me up when people ask me where I am from. When I say, "Idaho" they give me the craziest look. They do not believe Idaho is apart of America (Sorry guys. Looks like it is apart of Asia after all... *ehem* New Heart). I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked if I