Skip to main content

Reflections of Grace

Most of us know the quote, “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that is why they call it 'the present'”. We use it to remind ourselves that today is what counts. We must focus on what is in front of us, and cherish today for what it brings us. This is so critical. When we begin focusing our thoughts and energy on the past or the future, we miss out on the blessings God is prepared to give us today. Jesus told us not to worry about tomorrow “because today has enough trouble of it's own”. We cannot dwell on our pasts because Jesus came to free us from the troubles of our pasts. Yet, we must have a healthy dose of both past and future if we are going to make the most of our present.
I have a tendency to dwell on the future, especially right now. I want to know what the next big adventure God will allow me to experience. I want to start preparing now so I do not have to wait another five years before, and then finding out I am suppose to be halfway around the world in three weeks. However, I am queen of last minute life altering decisions. Whatever happens next, I am sure it will happen in the same manner as every other major event in my life: the absolute last minute! I believe I held a pretty good balance of looking to the future, and also focusing on what God is doing today. I will take a little bit of time each day to do research and pray about my future, but I do not let myself get consumed with thoughts of the future. I love being apart of what God is doing now. He moves in so many amazing ways. I feel so incredibly blessed to be witness to changed lives, and inspired hope. I would not exchange those moments for knowing exactly how my life pans out.
However, I neglect taking time to reflect on everything God teaches me. I am the kind of person who dwells on the mistakes of my past, and satan loves to use that to his advantage. I dwell on what went wrong, instead of praising God for the lessons He taught me. To avoid such pain, I try to ignore the past as much as humanly possible. Yet, we learn so much from our mistakes. I believe we are suppose to use our mistakes to help those around us. Ecclesiastes has it right, there is nothing new under the sun. Someone else may be going through the same struggles we went through. Why not teach them what we know? I was reminded the importance of reflecting on what God is doing and teaching you in ministry. I realized I had not stopped to see where God has brought me since coming to Uganda. I have been so focused on the many things He has placed on my heart as I try and figure out which one He is calling me to serve for the rest of my life. I spent much of this past week in reflection, and was broken as I reflected the absolute beauty of God's moving hand.
Since coming to Uganda, God has taught me more about grace than I ever imagined. I constantly need to humble myself before God so He can fill me with more grace than the day before. I need Him to guide me in this grace as I deal with people who are so different than me – because only through grace will there be healthy relationships in such differences. I need the grace to carry on as the world beats me down to rob me of my joy. I need grace to handle the days when I feel I have nothing more I can give. Everyone wants a piece of me, and grace keeps me moving forward. I need the grace to walk through the fires and waters of this world. Grace is key to my time in Uganda. I never understood the full power of grace. I knew what grace was, and I could explain it, but never with as much passion as I can now. I am completely dependent on the grace of God. I need a constant dose of grace to get me through without going crazy (well, that and a good cup of coffee every morning!). Grace gives me the courage to stand, and the peace to know God has everything under control.
If not for my time here in Jinja, I would have missed the complete picture of grace. I would not have felt the power the way I do here, and my understanding would lack something powerful. I would also have something less to give to others. Our experiences in life will lead us to help others in the same situation. Now that I have experienced grace on such a deep level, it is my job to give it away. As I reflect on my new understanding of grace, I see that I am also suppose to reflect grace. I must live in a constant state of grace so those around me will experience what Christ has to offer. Christ said to Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9). I do not need anything other than His constant grace, and I choose to reflect that to the world.

Whether past, present, or future, I choose to allow grace to flood my life. With that commitment, I know everything will be made right, because the grace of God is perfect.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

25 Years of Broken Dreams (Although This Is An Uplifting Post)

On my twenty-fifth birthday, I looked back on a high school goal of mine. In one of my classes, we had to make those “by this point in my life I will (fill in the blank)” and make tangible goals to reach the dream. Mine? By age twenty-five, I would own my own hair salon in Newport, Oregon. My plan was to move to the Coast and have my hair license by age twenty so I could begin building a clientele that would sustain my own salon, as I saved to make this dream possible. This July, I hit that birthday. Let me tell you, not a single one of those goals or ambitions were accomplished! Yet, not a single part of me regrets not following my dream. First of all, it was my stubborn personality that kept that dream going for so long. The dream really should have stated, “Prove to others I can do what they said I couldn’t” because if I were to boil down a very long story, that was at the heart of this dream. I pretty much refuse to spend more than five minutes on my own hair. I don’t know what

Encouragement

I am overwhelmed with the reactions of people who hear about my heart for missions, and my upcoming opportunity to work with Redeemer House Orphanage. All warm my heart, and fill my soul with joy. Most reactions are filled with squeals of joy, tears, and enormous hugs. I hold them deep in my heart, and I am blessed. When I first was wrestling with the idea of applying for this position, I took a day trip to my home church in Powell Butte, Oregon. I did not share with many about what I was praying about because I didn't want to make a great big scene, and then not follow through. I hope that church will be behind me through whatever missions I do, but something in me told me to wait to share with everyone. I did share with some, and when I did, each one was ecstatic for me! Each one encouraged me to pursue this route, because if God wants me there He will open the door, and if He doesn't then He will close it, but let Him do it. Their words of encouragement blessed me more than

Every Fleeting Moment

I joined a huddle of friends in time to hear the words, "she didn't make it," followed by gasps, tears, questions, and heart break. As I quickly catch up to what is happening, my heart shatters along with everyone else. A dear woman (one which impacted all that gathered) was in a car accident. She didn't make it. Can this be real? Death brings such a flood of emotions. A sudden death, as with my friend, starts with denial. "No! This can't be. There has to be a mistake, and any minute, my phone will go off with a text asking me to babysit. And this sinking feeling of my heart will pass with a sigh of relief!" Then when all the doubts have been stomped out and reality sets in, memories, questions, and hurt flood the heart. This is where I stand at this very moment. Maybe I should not write in such a raw state. But this is where I heal. Maybe a blog shouldn't be for healing, yet here we are.  My friend has two sweet boys. They mean the world to me.