Skip to main content

Chasing After Christ

I have found myself in a trap. A trap so easy to fall into, but should never be. I have allowed myself to be caught up with the people I come in contact with in ministry. … Wait. What? Isn't that I should be focusing on, people? Not really.
I came to Uganda to share the grace of God and the love of Christ with all I meet. I came to build relationships. In short term trips, you are so rushed. Rarely do you have the time to build a friendship with people. When I knew I would be here for a year, I told myself I would build lifelong, Christ centered friendships. This has become a reality. I am constantly making new friends, and I know many of these friendships will last for eternity.
However, making friends with many Ugandans means bearing their burdens along side them, just as all friendships. Here the burdens are so heavy on each one, and much more urgent. I am the kind of person who wants to jump in and fix it all. My friend Caroline has nine children from ages eight to twenty. All want to attend school. Yet her husband is a pastor, and is not paid, and he does not have a paying job. Their only income comes from bracelets that she sells in the markets, which is not even close to covering all her children's school fees. I desperately want to help her. I want to make sure she lives in security, and peace. I want to see every last one of her children receive an education. I want to give her the tools she and her husband need to care for these needs themselves. However, I don't have the tools or resources to make this all possible.
Caroline is only one example. Every day I feel the burdens of those surrounding me, and I want to share in these burdens. Here is where the problem lies. When I start looking at the burden, I take my eyes off Christ, which is completely unacceptable. My work becomes just that – work. It becomes “a nice thing to do for the world”, when I have come for so much more! My eyes must remain on my Savior at all times, as I follow Him to the places He leads. My entire existence revolves around Jesus, and with every step I take, I should be chasing after Him. Those I come in contact with, the beautiful friendships I make here in Uganda, are the effect of that chase. Burdens will be lightened as my new friends and I earnestly chase after Christ hand-in-hand. Jesus said, “Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30). Christ has the rest weary souls need. I don't have to make everything right.
My world revolves around worshiping my Savior. As the tidal wave of grace and love comes from that lifestyle, I will be a witness to changed lives, burdens lifted, problems solved, and broken hearts mended. Even if I tried with everything I am, I would never be able to imagine a more beautiful life than the Christian life! I choose to keep my eyes on Christ. I desire to see His beauty unfold around me. I deeply desire this to be my way of life.
I choose to let my ministry be about Christ, and Christ alone. I choose to let my compassion point to Christ, and not weigh down the burdens. I choose to chase Him with ever fiber in my being.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus is Alive

God has brought so many people into my life since coming to Uganda. I met so many I can pour into, and together we can come closer to our Savior. Of course, my Ugandan friendships are my favorite. They are the reason I am here, and being able to share life with them changed me completely. But not all are Ugandan. I have made plenty of other mzungu friends as well. These are people God uses in my life to help hold me up, as I help hold them up. We are here because of our missional God, and we need the encouragement from one another to keep going. It is such a wonderful set up going on in Jinja! But I still have met those mzungus who I feel like I am pouring out into like I would my Ugandan friends. That is the strangest sensation, and sometimes feels like a hinderence to ministry. Let me introduce you to Peaches. For the life of me, I cannot remember her real name! But I was sharing with one of my friends what was going on with this woman, and for some reason that I cannot remember n...

Saying Good-Bye. The Boise Effect.

Saying goodbye is never easy, and since I have been overwhelmed with a massive amount of them in the past few weeks, I have decided to simply look at the blessings. No one truly understands relationships that are built until someone leaves. I have spent three and a half years in Boise. I built amazing relationships with people I will never forget. I believe my time in Boise molded me into a stronger, more whole person. I know God brought more and more of His glory to my life because of my time in Boise. My faith was stretched time and time again. I was challenged in scripture, and grew so much in my knowledge.  I made a wonderful group of friends through school. In the past three years, I grew so close to these people! It is funny to think that I have only known these people for three years. I feel as though we have known each other forever. That is how close I became to students and professors. Together we opened our hearts, and allowed Christ to move in our lives in w...

A Life Long Commitment

When I came to Uganda the first time, God opened up my heart and mind in more ways than I can explain. The biggest lesson I learned was that God expects us to serve Him with all of our selves. No middle ground will do. It was this lesson that caused me to give myself completely to the will of God. I remember one afternoon sometime after I returned home, when I was struggling to find what I was suppose to do with my life. I laid my future down at His Throne, and I felt an overwhelming burden to go to the nations.... and well, there went my life! When you meet missionaries here in Jinja, one of the first questions asked is, “how long are you here for?” When they hear that I have committed a year, most respond with, “Oh that is a long time!” This then transitions us into the conversation about me wanting to do long term missions. I am surprised at the amount of people who say, “Yeah. Sounds like it! A year is pretty long term.” When that happens, I just shake my head, and change the su...