Skip to main content

Bathroom Talks

As I share with friends and family about applying with a new ministry, I continually say, "if I get accepted...."
Which is followed by a, "Why wouldn't you get accepted?"
Which leads to, "Well, it isn't as though I think God can't make it happen, but if it doesn't that means God has something else in mind, and that is what I want."
Which leads to an, "Oh I guess that makes sense," and I am left thinking, "you are still confused."
This past Saturday, I was at church. As I was washing my hands, I struck up a conversation with a friend. She was doing her makeup, and we talked about how we feel when our makeup does not end up like we hoped.
"So how has your new year gone?" my friend asks,
"Good!" I reply. I mean, it was a week into the new year, and I still cannot wrap my head around the fact I am in 2016, "I have been working on an application to a new ministry. If all goes well, I will be back in Africa this time next year,"
"That is awesome! What would you be doing?"
"There have been a number of different possibilities mentioned, but I hope to work with a people group in Uganda. I mean, if I get accepted that is,"
"Oh, it will happen! Have faith!"
"I say 'if' because if this is not what God has for me, then I know there is something better, and I rather wait for that other thing then jump into the wrong thing,"
"Don't say 'if'" she begins to correct me, "that makes it about you. Say 'God willing.' I don't like the word 'if'. When I have a dream or a vision on my heart, I pray to God, 'this is my heart. This is what I want to give to you. But this is my will. Deeper than my will, I want Your will.' So I don't like that word 'if'."
This conversation spiraled into a two day conversation with God. From this point, I never confessed my deep desire to work among the Karamojong. I continued to play the "If" game with God, even as I earnestly prayed over my future. "God, if You want me there, I am willing to go." I forgot about Psalm 37:4, that says, "Take delight in the LORD, and He will give you the desires of your heart." The desire of my heart brings glory to God. Why should I be afraid to confess these desires to the Maker of the Universe? Yet something deep within me caused a deep rooted fear of disappointment held dear to my soul. I refused to get settled on an opportunity then be let down by not being accepted.
This conversation changed my thinking for the better. My prayers changed from "If this is Your will..." to "There is nothing I want to do more than the idea of working with the local churches in Karamoja and start children's ministries -- to disciple these children every day, and teach them of the love of Jesus. This is MY heart, and what I want to do with the rest of my life. But deeper than that, I pray that Your will be in my life. Guide me to what You want me to do, and if this isn't it, guide me now to what is right." Since the moment my prayers have switched, I have felt a peace. there has been such a relief in confessing my heart to my Savior. I have been filled with a courage to keep pressing on in my application process, and to continue to deeply pray for the dream which lays on my heart and the people who have been placed there. I have officially turned in all pieces of my application, and reference forms have been sent out. I am still unsure of when I will hear anything, but I will continue through all the steps I need to accomplish.
I will never stop being astounded by the places I find myself being grasped by God. From church pews to conversations with complete strangers on airplanes to public bathrooms during a pass by conversation with a friend. But no matter where I am in the moments God grabs my heart, my life forever changes me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Life Long Commitment

When I came to Uganda the first time, God opened up my heart and mind in more ways than I can explain. The biggest lesson I learned was that God expects us to serve Him with all of our selves. No middle ground will do. It was this lesson that caused me to give myself completely to the will of God. I remember one afternoon sometime after I returned home, when I was struggling to find what I was suppose to do with my life. I laid my future down at His Throne, and I felt an overwhelming burden to go to the nations.... and well, there went my life! When you meet missionaries here in Jinja, one of the first questions asked is, “how long are you here for?” When they hear that I have committed a year, most respond with, “Oh that is a long time!” This then transitions us into the conversation about me wanting to do long term missions. I am surprised at the amount of people who say, “Yeah. Sounds like it! A year is pretty long term.” When that happens, I just shake my head, and change the su...

Jesus is Alive

God has brought so many people into my life since coming to Uganda. I met so many I can pour into, and together we can come closer to our Savior. Of course, my Ugandan friendships are my favorite. They are the reason I am here, and being able to share life with them changed me completely. But not all are Ugandan. I have made plenty of other mzungu friends as well. These are people God uses in my life to help hold me up, as I help hold them up. We are here because of our missional God, and we need the encouragement from one another to keep going. It is such a wonderful set up going on in Jinja! But I still have met those mzungus who I feel like I am pouring out into like I would my Ugandan friends. That is the strangest sensation, and sometimes feels like a hinderence to ministry. Let me introduce you to Peaches. For the life of me, I cannot remember her real name! But I was sharing with one of my friends what was going on with this woman, and for some reason that I cannot remember n...

Little Friends. Big Responsibility

I sat in my place at the back of the church. Recently they were given 500 new chairs. My church cannot hold 500 chairs, but they still set as many out as could fit in our little building. Now, the back is the way back. I find myself among all the mamas with toddlers and young ones. This is not an issue for me. One late mama came and sat next to me. Her youngest is around two and her oldest is around five. Out of all three of them, I know the oldest daughter the best. She has the most beautiful eyes, and often comes to greet me when I come to Kakolye. The younger daughter stayed with mama during the sermon. She sat well most of the service and managed to find a child’s chair to sit between mama and me. I sat as usually do, one leg crossed over the other, while holding my knee. While I soaked up the sermon, the mama bats at my arm to get my attention. She then pointed down to her daughter, who sat exactly like I did. We shared a laugh at the sight, and she went back to the sermon. ...