Skip to main content

The Tickle Monster

I see him across the room, as he tries to conceal a smile. Creeping over, I peak around walls and furniture with my tickling fingers ready to pounce. The closer I get, the bigger his smile grows. He tries to sneak away, but I reach out and grab him and tickle him until we are both on the ground, laughing so hard we have tears running down our face. This, of course, starts a full on tickle war between me and three little boys, two that speak no English.
I cherish these moments. I cannot express the joy that fills my heart, as I am able to be apart of bringing the hope of Christ to children, especially with the language barriers that exist. Being able to pour into a child without speaking sounds terrifying and impossible. However, I always let my mouth get in the way. I say the wrong thing, or let angry words slip my lips. Mix in a language barrier, and my words no longer pose such a threat. I am able to use the international languages, such as laughter. Tender actions and loving touches speak the love of Christ in more powerful ways than I will ever be able to understand. As the language barriers slowly are chiseled away, then knowledge of Christ can partner alongside the actions.
I stand awe struck before God. There are so many more qualified people in this world, people with better education and more experience, people who know the language and fully grasps the culture. Yet He chose me; a twenty-two year old girl from Idaho. He allows me to spin little ones until we collapse! He brought me to pour into kids who are thirsty for knowledge of Scripture. I will never be able to wrap my head around that, but I am forever grateful.

I will continue to tickle and love. That is my calling. So simple, and I am the one blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus is Alive

God has brought so many people into my life since coming to Uganda. I met so many I can pour into, and together we can come closer to our Savior. Of course, my Ugandan friendships are my favorite. They are the reason I am here, and being able to share life with them changed me completely. But not all are Ugandan. I have made plenty of other mzungu friends as well. These are people God uses in my life to help hold me up, as I help hold them up. We are here because of our missional God, and we need the encouragement from one another to keep going. It is such a wonderful set up going on in Jinja! But I still have met those mzungus who I feel like I am pouring out into like I would my Ugandan friends. That is the strangest sensation, and sometimes feels like a hinderence to ministry. Let me introduce you to Peaches. For the life of me, I cannot remember her real name! But I was sharing with one of my friends what was going on with this woman, and for some reason that I cannot remember n...

A Life Long Commitment

When I came to Uganda the first time, God opened up my heart and mind in more ways than I can explain. The biggest lesson I learned was that God expects us to serve Him with all of our selves. No middle ground will do. It was this lesson that caused me to give myself completely to the will of God. I remember one afternoon sometime after I returned home, when I was struggling to find what I was suppose to do with my life. I laid my future down at His Throne, and I felt an overwhelming burden to go to the nations.... and well, there went my life! When you meet missionaries here in Jinja, one of the first questions asked is, “how long are you here for?” When they hear that I have committed a year, most respond with, “Oh that is a long time!” This then transitions us into the conversation about me wanting to do long term missions. I am surprised at the amount of people who say, “Yeah. Sounds like it! A year is pretty long term.” When that happens, I just shake my head, and change the su...

How Far Will You Go for Christ?

A few years ago, I attended ICOM in Atlanta. God taught me a number of things, but one lesson which will always be with me tested my faith. “Are you willing to stand firm for Christ when your life is on the line?” This question was asked in a few different sessions I attended. I knew I needed to answer it. It is very easy to be caught up in those conversations, where your faith is on steroids and you are in the safety of America, land of freedom of religion to boldly claim you will stand firm for Christ. I did not want to answer on a feeling. I knew that would be dishonest, and this kind of question needs to be rock solid! I spent time searching my heart and soul. God brought me to deep places, where I became familiar with my deepest struggles and my greatest strengths. God gave me scriptures and visions, as I searched for my answer. At the end of the quest, I knew I would have the strength to stand firm on my faith in Christ, even at the risk of my own life. I am apart of a Bible s...